speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Dragon Age

Sci-Fi and Fantasy games are some of the most popular on the market. Drop in to talk about your favorites from video games to role playing games.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Dragon Age

Postby Xyster » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Hello all. I haven't been around for a while, but I've been "getting in touch with my literary roots" and have been haunting here recently. Wow, that didn't take me long to get off topic.

However, I have been playing a game that I adore recently, Dragon Age. I say only Dragon Age because there is Origins, Awakening and 2 out now, and I love each on their own merits. I must admit, Origins seems to have the strongest story though, but I find myself loving the battle mechanics of 2 better. I replayed Origins several times through for achievements and different romance/story options along the way and enjoyed it each time. Playing 2 again is fun, but not as satisfying.

I was wondering if anyone else had played these and had an opinion on them.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: Dragon Age

Postby The Master » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 pm

I love Dragon Age. I don't have DA2...a little steep on the price for me right now unfortunately :(
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby nightlock » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:21 am

I actually found the story of DA2 more compelling than of Origins (but haven't quite finished it yet, so no spoilers please). Origins got most of it's story telling out in the first hour or so, after which you knew your objective and just went out to collect allies and goodies. Almost none of the events in the various ally questlines have anything to do with the main story. It's pure (though marvelously executed) exposition and world building.

The only reason for the Dwarf quests is to tell the player something about Dwarven history, same for the Dalish. Redcliffe is all about Andraste & the Chantry while the Circle quests first attempt to explain the difficulties that will eventually lead the plot of DA2. But as far as the main story is concerned, they do not add much apart from gaining allies for the final battle. It's a Tolkien set up, tell the reader who the big bad is in the first few chapters, immediately establish how to beat big bad and then spend the rest of your book explaining all the other problems that came between A and B.

It's not bad story telling, it can be incredibly powerful. I just really prefer the slowly emerging story, where the end goal isn't really clear until the last moment. Like in DA2, where most of the important story isn't explained to the player in Act I, but must be slowly uncovered through gameplay.

Writing aside, Origins was the better game. DA2 is a bit too easy and I miss the min-maxing with gear.

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Xyster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:15 am

I must admit, the overall surprise factor towards the end as well as plot development does seem a bit more cohesive in 2. I think it's mostly the involvement of the characters that I miss from Origins. You could speak your companions at any time, even if only with a couple conversation options, whereas in 2 you are pretty much forced to wait until they are ready to speak to you to get involved with them. I appreciate the fact that there are more quests revolved around them, but wish that you could be a little more in tune with your team mates.

I also miss the ability to switch out their armor, it did make combat more versatile, as did the ability for the warriors to have a bow. Maybe it was just the grand scale of Origins that I miss so much; it had a certain forboding to it that I haven't really gotten off of 2, even with the somewhat darker take on certain things.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby nightlock » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:05 am

Spoiler alert:

Going through my second play through right now and I must admit I've spend waaaaaaaaay too much time philosophising and thinking about the mage issues. On the one hand it makes sense for society to ask young mages to gather in a remote location for training. Mages are still rather dangerous, and not only because they can fling fireballs to and fro. The risk of blood magic and abomination is quite a bit bigger than with non-mages. So if people feel safer if untested mages live a couple of miles outside of town, that's no different than we placing our nuclear plants and arms factories at a safe distance.

On the other hand. Locking them up and throwing away the key for the rest of their lives is not a good way to deal with the situation. Like the energy from the nuclear plant will only be useful if there are some wires going from it to the city, so too will the magic of the mages only be useful if they are allowed to use it among the people to help the people. But with templars breathing down their necks, no mage will ever feel truly safe themselves. Even if they survived the harrowing, they will forever be suspect. Guilty without crime.

It strikes me as no coincidence that, with the exception of Merril, all the blood mages and abominations are circle escapees. Throughout the years of serving as protection for both the mages and the regular population, the templar have become harder and harder. Which in Kirkwall resulted in squeezing the mages so hard that even the first Enchanter reached for Blood Magic and became an abomination. A rebellion was inevitable. Not because mages are evil, but because any living being oppressed hard and long enough, will eventually bite back. Humans, Dwarves, Elves, animals, in some cases even the plants (even if they have to wait for evolution to do so).

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Daoff » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 am

I only played this game https://apkbird.com/en/com.ea.game.dragonage_na on the mobile. I understand that this is the same game only adapted for the phone, right? In principle, I liked it. Unfortunately I don't have time to play games on the computer, I can only play in the queue or while on the road.
Daoff
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Games